Wouldn't it be nice to automatically send different reply messages when
you're on vacation? For example, you could send one reply to business associates
and another to friends. Well you can, if you use the Rules Wizard and Microsoft
OutlookŪ templates. Here's how to create a custom reply for a group of people.
Note Replies will only be sent when Outlook is running.
However, if you're using Microsoft Exchange Server, you can create a variation
of this rule (see Have
Microsoft Exchange Server Send Custom Reply Messages) and the server will
automatically send replies whether you have Outlook running or not.
First, create an automatic reply template
- Open a new Outlook message.
- In the message body, type whatever information you'd like to appear in
your custom reply.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- In the File name box, enter a name for your reply template.
- In the Save as type box, click Outlook Template, and then
- On the File menu, click Close, and then when prompted to
save, click No.
Next, create a rule to send an automatic reply
- On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard, and then click the New
- In the Which type of rule do you want to create list, click Check
messages when they arrive, and then click the Next button.
- In the Which condition(s) do you want to check list, select the From
people or distribution list check box.
- In the Rule description list, click the underlined phrase, people
or distribution list, and in the Type name or select from list
box, type the name of each person you want to receive the custom reply, and
click the From button after you type each name.
- Click the OK button, and then click the Next button.
- In the What do you want to do with the message list, select the Reply
using a specific template check box.
- In the Rule description list, click the underlined phrase, a
specific template, and then in the Look in list, click User
Templates in File System.
- Click the template you created above, and then click the Open
- Click the Finish button, and then click the OK button twice.
That's it. Now, when you receive a message from one of the people you
specified in step 4, they'll automatically receive your custom response.
Important When you set up a rule to automatically reply to
someone, the Rules Wizard will send a reply for each message you receive from